Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fotos de Señora Reddick en México

¡MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS A RURAL SCHOOL & COMMUNITY TRUST AND THEIR RURAL GLOBAL TEACHER FELLOWSHIP! - Thank you very much to the Rural School and Community Trust and their Rural Global Teacher Fellowship that any rural teacher around the US can apply for.  Check out their website http://www.ruraledu.org for details for the 2013 fellowship that will be published in the fall.

The scholarship enabled me to take some immersion classes and attend a spanish-curriculum course.  I also was able to meet amazing people not only from Mexico but from Japan and Brazil as well.  Part of the criteria for the fellowship required that I post pictures of myself and due to the fact I have done that rarely thus far I'm packing them all in at once.  (I loathe having my picture taken.-Just saying!)

 Arriba/Above:  I had to get a picture with a public phone because they use to be something that was a part of our everyday life when I was a kid growing up.  Now, it is rare to see a public phone in the USA but not in Mexico!  A phone call costs 3-Pesos or close to what we use to pay back in the 'ol days before we all had cell phones, 25 cents/call.

Abajo/Below:   ¡Hola de Guanajuato con Mitz-Zhu!  Mitz-Zhu está estudiando en México por 7 meses en total y un semestre a la Universidad de Guanajuato. 


Abajo/Below:  This awesome view includes the University of Guanajuato and the Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato.  The lights are just beginning to twinkle in the background.  I can't wait to show my classes the beautiful video of the sunset and the twinkling lights of the city.  I wish I could have transported all of you for a 5 minute visit to see this incredible view!


Estoy afuera de la Básilica de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato.  Visité la básilica con Arturo.  Él tomó esta foto de mi. = This is a photo of me outside of the basilica pictured above.  I visited the basilica with Arturo (more on him below).  He took this photo of me.


Abajo/Below: Marta y yo estamos en su comedor en el último día de mi viaje a Guanajuato.  Ella es tan amable, simpática, y agradable.  Ella es una buenísima anfíntrona, abuela, y madre.  = Marta and I are in her dining room on the last day of my trip.  She is so nice and very kind.  She is a very good host, grandma, and mother.  / I hope to visit her again one day!  She was my greatest gift in Mexico!

La hija de Marta es Karla.  Karla y yo estamos en el comedor.  Ella es la madre de Toni, Alexa, y Gael.  Karla, su esposo y sus niños viven con Marta en su casa porque su esposo está estudiando a ser radiólogo. = Karla is Marta's daughter and we are in the dining room.  She is Mom to Toni, Alexa, and Gael.  She, her husband and their children live with Marta because her husband (Marco) is studying to be a radiologist.

¡Mi maestro de México! - My Mexican teacher!  Well, not really but he is Marta's Uncle and neighbor who lives with Marta's mother while he visits his doctor in Guanajuato. He's in his late 70's and he and I had great intellectual conversations together about history, culture, religion and so much more!  Arturo is the only Catholic in his family because the rest of his family has converted to the Christian denomination of Jehovah's Witnesses.  Over 80% of Mexicans are Catholic but the largest Protestant Christian group in Mexico are the Jehovah's Witnesses with nearly a million followers.  Arturo is what we call a Jack-of-all-Trades in his family and what Mexicans call "un hombre de milusos."

No comments:

Post a Comment