Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Las calles en Guanajuato

Una pregunta....una respuesta - A question....an answer:

One of my future students asked on a post how people can get around in the city with all the buildings crammed together and what it looks like from the street view, here are some pictures.  With some captions to explain.

 

Above:  The tunnel you see is underground and is used by one-way traffic today.  Previously though underground caverns and tunnels were used by miners seeking silver which the city was famous for over hundreds of years.  These tunnels were converted to divert traffic from above ground to below ground to allow for more buildings above ground.  I wait underground to get on my bus daily.  The lights on the right are the stairway that leads up to the street level.



Above:  I took the above picture for the beautiful sunset on mountain in the background but it does demonstrate on the lower half of the picture this one-way street and how close the buildings appear from street view.


Above: This street is typically used by pedestrians but during certain parades and events the street is converted into a one-way street.  The number of people on the street is not unusual because people are typically out and about in town from 9AM-10PM here.  On weekends the business in the street extends even later.


 

Above:  Imagine that a tunnel is behind you and you have just exited it and this is the scene set before you.  When I ride the bus home from school daily I can see this view from inside the bus.  The street is one-way and since it's a little wider here cars are able to park in the easement area.


 

Above:  A one way tunnel that you can see in the foreground a truck getting ready to enter.


Above:  Pre-school children walking to school.  I took the picture because these two seemed so sweet but the picture also shows you how narrow these streets are as well.  It is only a 1/2 a block from my school here.


Above:  A pedestrian street only with no pedestrians on it so I was quick to take this picture in the afternoon one day.  It shows how colorful the buildings are up close as well.

My apologies if there appears to be a mis-alignment of the text on this entry but blog-spot appears to be having technical difficulties for me.

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see these pics, because its more of what my friend Maria told me about Guanajuato. She also said you should go see the mummies. Quite frankly I have no idea what that means, but maybe you do.
    I can't believe your trip is almost over, but I'm sure you're making the most of it! Love you,
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! I am learning so much! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be visiting the Mummy Museum tomorrow but basically the scientists aren't exactly sure why but some of the people in a cemetary here were mummifed by natural means not and it was not intentional. The bodies were dug up because people had to pay a fee/tax for their burrial for many years and non-payment resulted in the bodies being dug up and when they were dug up it was found that many had been mummified.

    Glad you are enjoying the pictures but I think I will be posting much more after my return because our internet is finicky here.

    ReplyDelete